On Tuesday, August 25, 2015, Houston lost a true icon at the age of 86. We offer our deepest condolences for the great Dr. James "Red" Duke, a man who dedicated his life to helping the city of Houston and its great people. As a world-renowned trauma surgeon, he shared his passion and gifts by educating many at the University of Texas Health Science Center and Memorial Hospital.
- He was a proud veteran who served a two-year tour in our U.S. Army
- Duke is highly recognized for establishing Houston’s Life Flight, a system that dramatically dropped the time it takes to get trauma patients to hospitals throughout Texas by helicopter ride.
- The James F. Mitchell Foundation named him Surgeon of the Year in 1988
- Duke’s bright Texas personality shined on television as the host of his nationally syndicated show “Dr. Red Health Reports”and as a frequent guest on “Today” and the “NBC Nightly News.”
- The Alvin Independent School District honored him in 2014 by opening Dr. Red Duke Elementary School in his name.
The Gallery Furniture family and all of Houston will keep Dr. Duke and his loved ones in our thoughts and prayers.